Orange Barrels Everywhere...Ahh, Summertime in Wisconsin
Summertime has just begun, and construction season in Wisconsin is already well underway. Between the Zoo Interchange, the Mitchell Interchange, and all projects in between and elsewhere, construction can turn a simple trip to the airport into a headache.
Airport Taxi, the best in Milwaukee airport transportation and Milwaukee airport shuttle service always checks for closures and ongoing construction before your scheduled departure date. Airport Taxi staff will notify you if additional time is needed to get you to your destination on time, because we pride ourselves on being ON TIME, EVERY TIME.
The greater Milwaukee area has four major interchanges serving the residents of Southeastern Wisconsin, two of which are currently under construction:
- The Marquette Interchange, linking I-43, I-94, and I-794 in downtown Milwaukee
- The Zoo Interchange, connecting I-94, I-894, and US 45 in western Milwaukee County
- The Hale Interchange, connecting I-43, I-894, and US 45 near Hales Corners
- The Mitchell Interchange, linking I-43, I-94, and I-894 near General Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee (Source: Wisconsin Department of Transportation)
With two major interchanges under construction, detours through unfamiliar territories, and additional traffic on the road with summer tourists in town, it can be a major hassle trying to get anywhere in the Milwaukee area. Here are some helpful tips in order to get you to the airport on time…or any other Milwaukee destination, for that matter!
- Plan ahead - Give yourself extra time to get to your destination, and map out alternate routes if necessary. If you have a GPS, it might be a good idea to enter your destination, even if you know where you’re headed. With one push of a button, your GPS will find you an alternate route when you encounter bad traffic or closed roads.
- Be Patient - Throwing a hissy fit because traffic isn’t moving won’t help matters any. If you’ve followed tip #1 and planned ahead, you’ll have allowed enough time in your schedule to be able to sit in traffic. Use this time to relax or work on your iPad or Laptop, listen to a good song on the radio and sing a little, or if you’re really not moving – call your mom and say hi.
- Expect the Unexpected - Need I say more?
Heading to Chicago O'Hare? Construction gets even worse. The main freeways from Milwaukee to Chicago O'Hare, I-190 and I-294, are also under construction. Don't forget about tolls! If you’re not a frequent Illinois visitor with an I-Pass, you’ll have to stop and pay tolls – so remember your loose change, and allow for extra travel time!